International Student Program

Selwyn School Welcomes International Students!


歡迎 – Bienvenue – υποδοχή – Willkommen – Bienvenido


Selwyn School’s International Student program allows us to enroll students from countries all over the world. At Selwyn, we consider international students to be an integral part of our student body. The faculty and staff are proud to offer a diverse and friendly private school in Denton TX that brings together students of many nationalities, ethnicities and religions in the pursuit of knowledge. Over the past 50+ years, students have enrolled from England, Greece, Germany, Japan, Vietnam, and China.


Frequently Asked Questions for Prospective Families

What benefits do international students gain by attending Selwyn?

First and foremost, we prepare students for a college education and for responsible citizenship in a global society through our strong college prep curriculum and emphasis on the individual student. 100% of our graduates are accepted to college. We offer a broad curriculum with many Advanced Placement (AP) classes so that students are well prepared to do college level work. The option to take dual credit classes at University of North Texas and Texas Women’s University for qualified Upper School students is a great way for students to become familiar with an American university. All of the sports and activities Selwyn offers are available to interested students, whether they want to perfect their basketball game or try performing in drama for the first time.

At Selwyn, students have the opportunity to make valuable connections to faculty and peers, resulting in friendships that will last a lifetime. These relationships, in addition to Selwyn’s small, close-knit community, become especially important as students settle into an often unfamiliar place.

What type of visa does my child need?

In order to attend Selwyn as an international student, your child will need to obtain an F1 visa. If the student is currently studying in the United States under a parent’s visa, documentation will need to be provided to Selwyn prior to his or her acceptance.

Does my child need to speak English?

Yes. Selwyn requires that all international students applying for grades 9 and higher be proficient in English at or above grade level. We will verify this through his or her English grades and an in-person or video conference interview.

Does Selwyn offer international students support if their first language is not English?

Yes. Please click here to learn more about our International Student English Program.

Does Selwyn offer boarding or host placement?

No. Selwyn is a day school with no option to stay on campus. Further, we do not offer placements with host families. Students will need to arrange to stay with an adult (college age and above) who is a relative or friend of the family or an American guardian secured by the family. This person must function as the student’s guardian while he or she attends Selwyn.

What is it like to be a new international student?

Learning to adjust to a new culture can be challenging at first, but the Selwyn school community is very welcoming, and the orientation process is very helpful. The Director of Admissions will connect you with a current student before you arrive, and you may exchange emails before your first day. When you arrive on campus the first day, you will already have a friend.

Which adults on campus can be most helpful to international students?

Each student is assigned an advisor, and your advisor is always available to assist you and help keep your parents informed about your academic program. You will meet regularly with your advisor each week, but if you need your advisor’s help more often, just ask. Advisors are available to answer your questions.

How do I obtain a visa for my child?

The U.S. government mandates that schools use a system of tracking international students called SEVIS. Once your student is accepted, we will apply to SEVIS for an I-20 with a special barcode attached. Once we issue it, that I-20 should be taken to your consulate or embassy so that your visa can be issued. An I-20 WILL NOT be released until you have been accepted to Selwyn and have paid the $1,000 US enrollment deposit.

What age should my child be?

Students that would turn 20 years of age before graduating from Selwyn cannot be considered for admission and should not apply.

What is the interview process like?

Selwyn encourages every candidate for admission to visit our beautiful campus and participate in an interview, class visit and tour of the campus. If you cannot visit in person, we will schedule a Skype or telephone interview once all other application requirements have been met.

What are additional entrance requirements?

When do I receive the I-20?

In order for a student to receive an I-20 Form and apply for an F-1 Visa, a student must first go through the application process, be accepted and enroll at Selwyn School.

What do I do once I receive the I-20?

Note: Canadian citizens are not required to apply for a visa to enter to the US as an F-1 but are still required to pay the SEVIS fee.